Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Broken & Contrite Spirit

Psalms 51:17 Says: "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise."

& earlier Psalms 34:18 says: "The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit."

What is it about being broken, being in (physical, spiritual, mental and Even Soul Pain) that is a worthy sacrifice to God?

Today is day 4 of excruciating pain in my left foot, ankle, toe, etc. If I step on it (which I can barely do) it causes me to wimper. It hurts God help me it hurts!

Why do we God's servants have to be helpless? Where the benefit?

Well, believe it or not I may have an answer. Found it in one of my favorite fantasy triologys. (believe it or not.)

It's called the Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

In the coming scene she is talking to a Healer, who explains how she is now more able to serve Gird (one of the saints of the High Lord).

"Hmm. I used to wonder how the paladins of Gird could be considered protectors of the helpless when they had never been helpless? Rather like asking the hawk to feel empathy for the grouse, or the wolf for the sheep. Even if a tamed wolk makes a good sheepdog, he will never understand how the sheep feel. You, Paksennarion: you are the most fortunate. For having been, as you thought a coward, and helpless to fight--you know what that is like. You know what bitterness that feeling breeds--you know in your own heart what kind of evil it brings. And so you are more fit to fight it where it occurs. Or so I believe"

Jesus, Fr. George Calciu says, did not come to remove our sufferings. He came to join us in them.





<< Home