Thursday, July 22, 2004

Starting Over

1 Corinthians 8:1 says this:

"But concerning the sacrifices to idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies. "

I am struck by this verse today. Having recently been brought to an awareness of my faults, by the Holy Spirit (and a few friends)...

God brings me here.

Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies..

edifies? what does that mean?

from dictionary.com:

"To instruct especially so as to encourage intellectual, moral, or spiritual improvement."

ah!  So if I put love first, it can encourage intellectual, moral and spiritual improvement, while if I seek to exalt myself, or seek to operate out of my flesh, my Knowledge (base) it puffs me up.  Not in a real way, but in a prideful yes, even satanic I Will (isaiah 14:13) kinda way.

which doesn't benefit me or those I hang with, virtual or otherwise.

The beauty of the Christian life is that at any point, at any place, at any time....

we can start over.  We can admit our helplessness, ask forgiveness, and return to the one true foundation.

Jesus.  We can seek to understand and be understood.  Cut loose the baggage, and with Paul,

"Forget those things which are behind, and pressing on towards the mark...."

so, I'm starting over.  Pressing towards the mark.

I'shalom

Love4theWord





<< Home