Thursday, November 17, 2005

Ken Wilber - 2nd chance

I have a friend whom I respect greatly, Whitewave and another Gaston Garcia, who have recommended that I give Wilber a 2nd chance.

Gaston said this:

"I don't think he's sounding to me as new-agish. I've read
on, and I wasn't wrong in my guessing... the guy really likes
buddhism. In fact what he calls Spirit, or lets say God, he
also calls Emptiness "based on the buddhist concept." So
yeah, he likes their idea of Emptiness.

He doesn't think the fundamentalist religious approach to
creation is correct. In that sense Christians, Hindi, Jews
and Muslims are all wrong according to him in stating that
"our vision of how God created the Universe is the
only right one and if you reject it you are
against God.

But you know. I've really liked his book. He's a man trying
to make a vision of the Universe for himself and has gone in
a different path than many thinkers or "philosophers" take
nowdays. He thinks spirituality is very important.

But I think I understand why he stands out as "religious" to
you and probably many other people. It's because he believes
in God and the importance of spirituality. How many other
philosophers have you read that take that path? I had not
encountered many.

Now as far as him being Christian or Christian-related I
have no clue why people have made that assumption."

Often when my gift of Teacher (curse?) want to see everything in either black or white. When reality often presents everything in shades of gray. So I got into a headspace where I needed to make some decisions, so often when there I make 'pronouncements' to try to grant structure to my life.

This was apparently one of those times. Therefore I'm going to give Ken another chance.

I'shalom





<< Home