Thursday, August 17, 2006

Fr. George Calciu



I first met Fr. George in 1996, at the St. Herman of Alaska Orthodox Mission in Charlottesville, Virginia. He was giving a talk and giving away copies of his book:

"Christ is calling you: A Course in Catacomb Pastorship"



Later, Fr. Michael took a group of us to visit him at his Church in Northern Virginia. Fr. George remembered me and encouarged me to join the Orthodox Faith.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I'm about to become Orthodox. But there is some question of the cannonicity of the group I'm with (they were formerly the Holy Order of Mans' part of the group Fr. Herman and Fr. Seraphim Rose started) but Bishop Philaret may not actually be a Bishop.

So I called Fr. George, and asked him 'What should I do'.

'We should talk face to face. Come see me this Saturday, around 2pm'.

So I do. And after visiting with this living saint, a few months later at Pascha I enter the Orthodox Church via Chrismation at St. Nicholas Orthodox Mission in Charlottesville, VA.

So. That's a little bit about one of my Spiritual Fathers.





<< Home