Friday, March 05, 2010

Better than I deserve

Often, I'm asked 'how are you?'

now in our culture how are you can be 'hello' folk don't really expect an answer. Often, however, I reply.

"Better than I deserve".

Some folk nod and say yup or amen. Some folk are like, I don't know about that...

But it's true. Everyday is a gift. Every good thing I do is a gift. The Word says "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." James 1:17

and "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:10

a close friend asked me 'does your child 'deserve' to be fed, clothed, sheltered by you?' I didn't have an answer then. Not a clear one. But now I do.

No. She doesn't deserve anything. "Deserve" smacks of merit. Of having earned something. But it's not about that. She's my child. My Daughter. Deserve doesn't enter into it. She thru her birthright is part of the family.

Privileges follow, as gifts. Same way us with God. The only thing we deserve is whatever ending we had coming.

But then.

The Birth. The Incarnation.
The garden. The passion.
The suffering, the Death
The Resurrection. The Ascension.
The sitting at the Right hand interceding for us.

Our Destiny, changed forever.

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8&9





<< Home