Saturday, July 24, 2004

The Lazy Monk

There was a lazy monk.  He didn't keep the hours (of prayer) and didn't fast (not that he was a glutton) and didn't attend all the services.  But he was never mean, and eveyone like him.  When it came his time to die, the other monks of the community gathered around his bunk, and he had such a look of serenity and peace.

The monks were concerned for the spirtual well being of their brother, whom they knew was lazy and hadn't always followed the rules of prayer nor attended the church service, and wondered at his composure.

Brother, one asked, how is it that you are at peace?  Seeing that you did not lead a very strict life?  You didn't fast, you didn't keep the rule of prayer, the hours, nor were you faithful in church service attendance, how is it then that you are facing your end and the Judgement in peace?

the monk answered.  Brothers, while all that you say about me is true, I will share with you my secret.  One day while praying and reading the scriptures, I came across the passage,

"Judge not and ye shall not be Judged" 

So while I have not done the things you have stated, I've also strived and meditated and sought with all my heart to love my saviour and never Judge my brother.

Shortly after saying this, he passed away, and the room was filled with a beautiful fragrance.

May we seek to live like this Monk.

I'shalom
Love4theWord





<< Home