Monday, December 19, 2005

Controversy & Tolerance

Been thinking, reading about Tolerance and Controversy. How like it's almost 'intolerant' to discuss or take any stands that might lead to controversy. Like that is 'bad'.

Tolerance of course has changed. It used to be:

"I believe that God has a better life in mind than your current Gay Lifestyle" says man #1.

"well, I have never been happier than when I'm with my gay lover, and I know where you are coming from but God made him for me" says man #2.

"Well, we are certainly at an impasse" says man #1. We will agree to disagree.

Now that my brudders an Sistah's was Real Tolerance.

Today Tolerance is this:

"You are a bigot and a homophobe and should not be allowed to say such things. It's a sign of hatred. As a matter of fact, that is defamation of character and hate speech you should be locked up" says man #2

Now tolerance means everything is okay except the man (or woman) who dares to hold to any absolute Truth (or any Truth Absolutely). Part of this is due to a misunderstanding of what an 'open mind' is.

I like what Chesterson has to say about the Open Mind --

He says this:

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid".

I find the words of John R.W. Stott a wonderful compass:

"We need to distinguish between the tolerant mind and the tolerant spirit. Tolerant in spirit a Christian should always be, loving, understanding, forgiving and forbearing others, making allowances for them, and giving them the benefit of the doubt, for true love "Bears all things, believes all things, hope all things, endures all things" (I Cor. 13:7). But how can we be tolerant in mind of what God has plainly revealed to be either evil or erroneous?"

Wisdom to live by, I say. Somewhere else someone asked the question?

"What is more important? Love or Doctrine?" As if you should ever have one or the other....

I turn again to the wisdom of Mr. Stott:

"We seem in our generation to have moved a long way from this vehement zeal for the truth which Christ and his apostles displayed. But if we loved the glory of God more, and if we cared more for the eternal good of the souls of men, we would not refuse to engage in necessary controversy, when the truth of the gospel is at stake. The apostolic command is clear.

We are to "maintain the truth in love," being neither truthless in our love, nor loveless in our truth, but holding the two in balance".


in the balance. hmm. Sounds hard yet necessary. Reminds me of another quote:

"If Jesus isn't Lord of ALL, is He Lord AT all?"

I'shalom





<< Home