Wednesday, December 21, 2005

thoughts of St. Nicholas day as Nativity approaches

I love St. Nicholas Day!

we never did the 'santa claus' thing with the Jade. i just couldn't see the benefit of lying to my child.

tell them there is a santa - lie
tell them there is a tooth fairy - lie
tell them there is an easter bunny - lie

tell them God became a man and died on a cross - lie, oh wait a minute!

So we've always told her the truth. I remember one year the Jade was 5 or 6 and someone asked her about Santa Claus.

Jade said, "Oh, you mean St. Nicholas. He's in Heaven"

you don't believe in Santa?

"no mom and dad buy my presents, but St. Nicholas is in Heaven praying to God that I make it there to be with him and God. Don't you think that is better than presents?"

Times like that I don't think i've messed up too bad.





<< Home