Friday, November 12, 2004

Words to someone struggling with sin

In pastoral ministry (which I thru the sheer grace of God engage in from time to time) sometimes someone comes to us, who is in dispair, struggling with sin. They think that they have lost salvation, and that God doesn't love them anymore because they still struggle and fall into sin.

These are the words I would speak to such a one:

"Your identity is no longer that of an adulterer (or pick your flavour of sinner).

You have been washed in the blood of Jesus. The old man is dead, the new one is here. You are a new creature in Christ. Sin shall no more have dominion over you. However, since we are still waiting for the Redemption of our bodies, from time to time, willingly and/or un-willingingly we may fall into sin. The Old man is dead, but seeks to live again thru us. Don't let him.

If you do, do not fear. We have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous. He knew that we would continue to sin after coming to a knowledge of the Truth.

So He made provision for us. If we confess our sins He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and will cleanse us from all un-righteousness.

It is important to fight against sin. It is important to strengthen your inner - spiritual man thru fellowship, prayer and daily bible reading. Sin can hurt us, and it greives God. But He has given us the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13) who is with us 24/7 interceding on our behalf to the Father, not to mention that Jesus is on the Right Hand of the Power on High also interceding for us.

Do not give into dispair. You are not alone. There are other members of the body that still struggle with the sins you find yourself struggling with. Find them and help one another to bare one another's burdens. Stay Accountable to each other. The difference between a sinner and a righteous one is that the righteous one gets back up.

And there is a prayer I want you to memorize. No, it's not scripture (and you should find the promises in the Word that speak to you and memorize them, they will help in your fight agaisnt sin) Here it is:

"O Lord my God! I have done this because I am what I am and so nothing can be expected of me but such transgressions or even worse, if Thy grace does not help me and I am left to myself alone. I grieve over what I have done, especially because my life has no righteousness responding to Thy care of me, but still I continue to fall and fall.

Forgive me, and give me the strength not to offend thee again and in no way to digress from Thy will. For I zealously wish to work for Thee, to please Thee and be obedient in All things" and the after prayer instruction would be this:

Having done this, do not torment yourself with thoughts as to whether God has forgiven you.

The Lord is near and listens to the sighings of His servants. So calm yourself in this certainty and, having regained your calm, continue your usual occupations as though Nothing had happened." (Taken from Unseen Warfare - St Theophan the Recluse.)

Be Encouraged.

I'shalom





<< Home